JULIA DOMNA wife of Septimius Severus
- Julia Domna was the daughter of Julius Bassianus, a priest of Sol, and Soaemias, and was born at Emesa in Syria.
- She was married to Septimius Septimius, after the death of his first wife, in about A.D. 173.
- In 188 she bore him his first son who was named Bassianus, later changed to Antoninus, and nicknamed Caracalla. A year later another son, Geta, was born.
- In 193, Severus became Emperor.
- While he was away, fighting battles and crushing revolts, Julia Domna administered the Roman Empire.
- After the death of Severus in 211, Caracalla and Geta succeeded to the throne.
- Caracalla murdered Geta in their mother's private apartments and Geta died in her arms.
- After the murder of her son Caracalla in 217, Julia Domna starved herself to death rather than face exile or worse.