- Marcus Salvius Otho was born at Ferentium in southern Etruria on 28th April 32 AD.
- Otho had been a companion of Nero, perhaps even his lover, until in 58 AD they fell out over Poppaea Sabina. Otho had ended up governor of Lusitania.
- In March 68 AD Julius Vindex, governor of Gallia Lugdunensis, revolted against Nero. He was supported by Galba. Otho supported Galba's cause.
- In May 68 AD the armies of the Rhine defeated Vindex at Besancon. They tried to proclaim their own commander, Verginius Rufus, emperor, but he refuses. Galba waited in the wings.
- Galba was declared emperor by the senate on 8th June 68 AD.
- On 9th June 68 AD Nero committed suicide.
- In January 69 AD, the armies of Upper and Lower Germany declared Aulus Vitellius their new emperor.
- Galba decided to adopt Lucius Calpurnius Piso Frugi Licinianus, a 30 year old man from a distinguished family (10th January).
- Six days later, Otho won over the praetorian guard and seized power.
- Galba was pulled out of his carriage and killed (15th January 69 AD). Piso was also killed.
- Otho is declared emperor but still has to defeat Vitellius.
- He took his armies to northern Italy to meet those of Vitellius.
- His armies were defeated at the Battle of Cremona on 14th April 69 AD.
- Otho committed suicide on 16th April 69 AD.